Monday, August 13, 2007

Week 9 #22: Audiobooks

The Frederick County Public Library has had OverDrive and NetLibrary for some time now, so I am familiar with both. For practice I checked out from OverDrive Beyond the Band of Brothers by Major Dick Winters and downloaded it onto my computer at home. I listened to the prologue to make sure it "took".

I had to register with NetLibrary at a public computer at the FCPL library since our professional computers inadvertently log us into the local community college catalog, which is ebooks only -- no audio. Once I set up my account I put Erma Bombeck's Just Wait Till You Have Children in my favorites.

Downloading the software needed to support the audiobook sites was very quick and painless on my computers at home. Personally, I would never listen to a book FROM my computer, but if downloading to a personal listening device is as painless as getting the book, then I understand why all our patrons are really pleased about the service. (All of those except our i-Pod users.)

No comments: